Wounds can occur for a variety of reasons from post-op complications to normal skin aging. Pine Acres Rehabilitation & Living Center has an active Wound Care Program in place that has been developed in conjunction with wound care specialists. We admit and treat persons with pressure ulcers ranging from Stage I to Stage IV as well as post surgical wounds, diabetic ulcers, venous or arterial stasis ulcers, burn care, traumatic injuries, amputations, infected wounds requiring IV antibiotics or special isolation and other non-specific wounds and/or skin disorders.
Our program provides quality wound care designed to achieve positive outcomes and to help each patient reach his or her highest level. The program goals focus on wound healing and prevention of skin care complications. Treatment goes beyond the healing process, also including identification of changes and interventions to prevent reoccurrence.
The wound care team at Pine Acres consists of the Primary Care Physician, a Wound Care Physician, Registered and other Licensed Nurses, Dietary with the support from a Licensed Dietician, Social Services, Activities and our Therapy Department.
Some of the key components and/or benefits of our program include, but may not be limited to:
- Comprehensive skin assessment, identification of wound care needs and implementation of treatment plan
- Weekly wound care assessments
- Weekly physician bedside wound visits including electronic tracking
- Utilization of a Wound Vac for treatment as necessary
- Clinical debridment at bedside as appropriate
- Decreased need for outside visits/appointments for wound evaluation and treatment
- Reduced wound infections with improved healing rates
- Patient / Family / Staff education relating to wound management and prevention